What is Group Training?
Group Training refers to an arrangement where Group Training Organisations (GTOs) employ apprentices and trainees and place them with host employers. GTOs undertake employer responsibilities, which include:
- selecting and recruiting apprentices and trainees
- undertaking the employer responsibilities including wages, allowances, superannuation, workers compensation, sick/holiday pay and other employment benefits
- managing the quality and continuity or training, both on and off the job
- providing the addition care and ongoing support necessary for the apprentice to successfully complete the Apprenticeship/Traineeship Training Contract.
The goals of Group Training are to:
- create additional employment opportunities for apprentices and trainees
- provide for continuity of employment and training through to completion
- improve the quality and range of training available to apprentices and trainees.
To achieve these goals, GTOs:
- employ apprentices and trainees and place them with host employers
- are responsible for meeting the employer obligations outlined in the Training Contract
- manage and monitor arrangements with host employers; and
- provide any necessary care and support throughout the apprenticeship or traineeship.
Many GTOs also:
- assist apprentices and trainees to make a successful transition into the skilled workforce
- rotate apprentices and trainees among host employers to ensure continuity and enhance the quality and range of their training experience
- provide access to apprenticeships and traineeships for those disadvantaged in the labour market; and
- provide services to the community which contribute to the promotion of vocational education and training and encourage employment growth.
Group Training can be particularly important to small and medium sized businesses that otherwise:
- see committing to an apprenticeship or traineeships as too risky, or
- perhaps lack the resources to manage effectively and apprenticeship or traineeship, or
- are unable to provide the breadth of on the job training and skills development required for the full term of an apprenticeship or traineeship.
GTOs operate across Australia. Some specialise in servicing particular industries, while others may cater for an entire region, covering many industries.
For more information about Group Training:
- Contact your local Australian Apprenticeship Support Network provider
- Contact a Group Training Organisation listed on the National Register
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org