It can be difficult to move from your parental home and establish a new home when you are starting a new job, but the Living Away From Home Allowance can make it a little easier for you.

The Living Away From Home Allowance (LAFHA) is an allowance for eligible Australian Apprentices of any age during the first three years of training if they are required to move away from their parents’ or guardians’ home in order to take up or retain an Australian Apprenticeship.

The allowance is available to eligible full and part-time Australian Apprentices and Australian School-based Apprentices during the first three years of their training.

This allowance is tax exempt so you will not be required to pay tax on the Living Away From Home Allowance.

Am I eligible?

You may be eligible to receive the allowance if you need to move away from your parental or legal guardian’s home for the first time in order to:

  • start an Australian Apprenticeship;
  • remain in an Australian Apprenticeship; or
  • receive essential supplementary on-the-job training with another employer.

You also may be eligible to receive the allowance if you are undertaking an Australian Apprenticeship and you are, or become, homeless.

The allowance is not available to Australian Apprentices who:

  • have lodged a claim for Youth Allowance, Austudy or ABSTUDY;
  • receive rental or accommodation assistance from any source; or
  • moved away from their parental or legal guardian’s home three months or more before starting their Australian Apprenticeship.

How do I apply for the allowance?

Contact your local Australian Apprenticeship Support Network (Apprenticeship Network) provider who can provide you with an Application for Living Away from Home Allowance for Australian Apprentices form.

You will need to submit the completed form to your Apprenticeship Network provider to apply for the allowance.

Once your application has been approved, you may determine how regularly you will lodge claim forms (Australian Apprentices often choose monthly).

Once the claim is processed, the allowance is paid into your nominated bank account.

Where can I find out more?

You can download the Living Away from Home Allowance fact sheet to find out more about the allowance.

For more information and advice on all aspects of Australian Apprenticeships, contact your local Apprenticeship Network provider. Apprenticeship Network providers are contracted by the Australian Government to provide free Australian Apprenticeships support services to apprentices and employers.

Information on apprentice workplace rights and conditions can be found on the Fair Work Ombudsman website or by calling the Fair Work Infoline on 13 13 94

Download the Summary of the Australian Government Incentives under the Australian Apprenticeships Incentives Programme fact sheet.